Wednesday 1 May 2013

The Sound of Ice Melting in the Arctic


The snow and the ice are melting. Blue skies have come to the arctic, the days are crisp and bright, and there is no real darkness anymore, only a navy-blue submarine midnight.

Last week I walked along the edge of the fjord with an audio recorder, to capture some of the sounds of the thaw.

I stood between two small streams of water flowing over rocks and pebbles into the fjord.




I lay on a flat slate-like rock, so smooth it almost felt soft, and recorded the melting of a large slab of ice. The sound is very musical. There was some water dripping into the cavity between the ice and the rock, but most of these sounds were coming from inside the ice itself: an invisible polyphonic thawing process.

4 comments:

  1. That sounds fantastic! I love recordings of water! Keep up doing field recordings. It's like a diary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. That's a good idea actually. I only recorded it because the melting ice sounded so unique, but I really like Nothing in My Pockets, the Laurie Anderson project where she recorded her life and then edited it together with narration and music. Maybe I could combine field recordings with some guitar pieces.

      Delete
  2. It's like listening to the sound of the Universe.

    ReplyDelete