Saturday 20 April 2013

Borderlands

On the road to Tromsø it is possible to take a left and drive instead to Finland. That's what we did last Monday. On the way, I bought two CDs from a petrol station: A Rock n Roll box-set and the second album by Norwegian band Harrys Gym. I had never before noticed how unbelievably middle aged and straight Bill Haley sounds on Rock Around the Clock. You can virtually hear the cardigan the man is wearing. Harrys Gym on the other hand, I recommend for any time you might be crossing a Nordic border. 


Driving into Finland really demonstrates the essential weirdness of national boarders. The road is long, the landscape doesn't change, but you drive past a large sign and a small cabin and suddenly the language on the signs is totally unintelligible and the notes and coins in your wallet are of no use to you. The speed limit suddenly goes up to 100, which is exciting for those of us who live in Norway and are usually supposed to drive at 80kmph. I put my foot down immediately.





To the right of the road there is a large, frozen lake and a flat expanse of snow. People ski across it to get to the point where three countries, Sweden, Norway and Finland, all meet. This meeting point is marked by a raised concrete circle which has been photographed many times for use on postcards.


A little way into Finland there is a tourist centre where they sell burgers, souvenirs and postcards. No such thing on the Norwegian side, I noticed. I think they make their money partly from the fact that snow-scooter regulation is much less strict on that side of the border, so people travel there to ride around in the mountains. It's also a good area for skiing and snowboarding. The man behind the counter spoke Finnish and English, but not Norwegian.
 

Outside, people took off in hang gliders from the frozen surface of the lake and flew off into the distance. We travelled further up the road to where there is a supermarket which is much cheaper than the ones in Norway, though I'm reliably informed that it is way more expensive than anywhere else in the country. We stocked up on a lot of frozen food and I bought Finnish chocolate and some mustard, which I hope is hotter than the stuff we get here. I also bought a Led Zeppelin CD for the journey home.





And then that was it. There was nothing more to do in Finland that day. We got back in the car and drove a few minutes until the ice, snow, rocks and trees around us were once again Norwegian ice, snow, rocks and trees, and the signs said we had to slow our speed right down to 50kmph.


All this just brings home to me the imaginary status of countries. How is it that I walk or drive past this little roadside house, and suddenly I'm in a completely different place? What about a fox crossing through the snow, or a bird flying overhead? Does this madness apply to them too? 




3 comments:

  1. Now I want to make that trip again too. It1s been years. My parents and me used to drive every summer down south through Finland and Sweden, always visiting Kilpis and always staying in bad camping cabins with drunken people puking around. I was probably traumatized and noe one will ever get me in a camping cabin again - or even camping. I prefer hotels (this was a digression, I've had a couple of glasses of wine). Anyways, I feel I need to go to Kilipis again soon. Apparantly they have really cheap Moomin cups there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mali!

    The only time I've ever been in a camping cabin was when we went to Lofoton. The whole site was empty except for us because we were there at the very end of the season. It was kind of spooky, but at least any ghosts that might have been around weren't throwing up outside.

    I didn't see the Moomin cups, but I bet they have them - they seem to have pretty much everything in that supermarket.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fascinating post! But then I'm fascinated by the concept of national borders, especially in Europe. As you say, things change utterly in an instant. Perhaps I find it so fascinating coming from an island.

    Now that you mention it, I know exactly what you mean about Rock Around the Clock!

    ReplyDelete