Saturday 1 June 2013

Coincidences - Two


Last Saturday I was talking about Stockholm with Marthe and her friend Frøydis. We were standing in the kitchen, making coffee and discussing the Swedish capital. Of the three of us, I was the only one who had never been there, but I was saying that for a long time it had been a city I'd wanted to visit. 

I've actually wanted to visit Stockholm since long before I ever really thought about Norway, ever since hearing the album Dynamite by Stina Nordenstam in the late 90s. (She made the record in her flat there). I thought aloud that I might travel to Stockholm alone when Marthe and Frøydis are on their planned road trip across America next year. 

At the same time as we were having this conversation, someone I had never met was sitting in Stockholm and writing me an email. I sat down with my coffee, opened up my computer and got a message from Jonas Alexander David, telling me that he was going to play one of my songs on his radio show at 6pm that day.

The show, which is called Explorations, goes out every week on Stockholm College Radio. Each broadcast focuses on a different area of the world. It's a kind of journey through music. Last week's Explorations was about North Norway. I became the UK's unoffical musical representative in the far North!

You can listen to all Jonas' shows after broadcast on his blog. The North Norway show you can hear below. It's in Swedish, obviously, but if you don't understand the language you could still enjoy the music. It's a selection of pop, modern folk and electronic music from Bodø, Tromsø, Nordreisa and beyond. My song appears around the 20 minute mark.

Sometimes the internet seems like a tyrannical force in my life—some kind of time-sucking black hole that I can't escape. But then something like this happens: Just when I'm thinking of a city I'd love to visit, someone in that city is thinking of me.



 

1 comment: