Saturday 30 June 2012

Lars


My driving instructor has a moustache. His name is Lars. He drives me out to the edge of town and then we get out and switch sides. I start to drive a car for the first time in my life.

How did I get to 30 without learning to drive? Something to do with an accident I was in, a dislike of motor vehicles, a lack of cash or time, a love of train travel, rather a lot of drinking, a lack of necessity, a deep disinclination...

Lars wants me to drive up into the valley. He says we don't worry about what others are doing. He tells me I need to practice shifting gears. He says I should take my foot off the break just before the car stops. He seems surprised at the way I keep killing the engine. He doesn't enjoy it when I start driving in the left lane.

Oh, you drivers. Are you aware how difficult it is, this thing you do in open traffic?

Lars says I need to demonstrate independence. He wants me to gear up and gear down of my own free will. I can't do it though. I don't like it. I want to focus on keeping the car in the middle of the road. We are driving through a cutting at 80 kilometers and hour. He tells me I'm too close to the edge of the road, that my wheels are on the white lines. I look in the wing mirror to try to straighten up, but instead I start swerving off to the side. Lars grabs the steering wheel and gets us back on the road. He tells me never to do that again.

We drive across a small bridge and up some country roads. I grip the wheel and look straight forwards. There are times when I seem to have total control, then others when I suddenly start driving like a drunk. My driving instructor is singing a song. He's building a cabin somewhere around here.

Lars has had many jobs in his life. He drove long distance lorries, he's worked as a plumber and as a mechanic. He didn't learn much English when he was at school. I doubt whether he knows much English at all, which is reassuring in some strange way. He's nearing retirement and firmly believes that it is important to be happy in the morning. He's talking on his mobile now and I shift gears carefully, as if he might not notice. I still don't really understand what the point of it is, this shifting of gears.

Back at the driving school Lars asks me how I feel. We've finished our sixth lesson and I'm still living in fear of the car. I talk for a long time in my patchy Norwegian. I tell him I think I finally learnt how to use a clutch. "You did do that," says Lars.

Lars says he has plenty of time, so long as I have plenty of time.


8 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading this, you write so well, I guess you are a writer? I feel I know Lars now, at least I know the kind of Lars'es. Good luck with your licence, you'll get there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Mali, thanks! Getting your comment was a very nice way to start a Sunday. I haven't published much, but writing is definitely my main interest in life. I'm not sure whether I'm technically allowed to call myself a writer yet, but that's how I think of myself.

      I hope you and your family are enjoying the summer sun. Looking forward to your next post, as always.

      V.

      Delete
  2. This post made me chuckle. I know exactly how it feels to be in fear of the car. I took my test when I'd just turned 18, before I went to university, and despite feeling like a bit of a hesitant driver I managed (somehow) to pass first time. Then I went off to uni and was only able to drive when I came home in the holidays. I'd lost most of the skills I'd started to develop and had a bit of a scare, so drove less and less.

    Nine years on and I don't drive at all now. I'm scared about getting back behind the wheel, but I'm sure that if I started driving again I'd pick it up over time and I would get better with more experience. Regular practice is key. Good luck - one day it will suddenly kick into place and the world of driving will all make sense!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reassuring to know it's not just me who's scared. In some ways I'm glad to be forced by circumstance to learn, because in the UK I would have put it off forever, and being a non-driver does limit your options with a lot of things. For example, I wanted to go to Hay-on-Wye with Marthe, but it's not possible to get there on the train. Driving book-lovers only.

      Delete
  3. Oh, the post made me think of this great film. Driving instructor from hell, I do think Lars is a better choice.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wYMAJSnpVo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked that film. Sally Hawkins is great. I wish she was in more movies. That character of the instructor was really good too - funny and scary and tragic.

      Delete
  4. Driving is a huge mystery. All the time I was learning it was a mystery. I finally had to do it when I had to take my first child to nursery on my way to work. It was hell. Then gradually it got easier. But I only drive in the town centre. Open roads spook me. It'll get easier for you, and then you'll be zipping along the open roads that I'm afraid of.

    And yes, I like your writing 'voice'.

    ReplyDelete